Howdy all! Just an FYI...
Canonical is hiring a new Virtualization developer. We are specifically looking for experience developing, packaging, and deploying KVM, QEMU, and Libvirt. Working at Canonical is both fun and rewarding, the travel is exciting, and our product is really something to be proud of!
If you have deep virtulisation experience, take a look at (reposted below):
Virtualisation Developer, Server Team
Job Location: Your home with broadband. Some international travel will be required.
Job Summary: We are looking for a Server Engineer with a strong background in virtualisation technologies to play a key development and integration role on the Ubuntu Server Team - one of the technical teams that makes up the Ubuntu Platform Team. As part of the core Ubuntu team, you will work on a broad range of technical tasks: including feature planning, development, packaging, integration, bug-fixing and maintenance. The successful candidate will ensure a first class user experience by packaging, bug fixing and development of virtualisation technologies and related applications. Strong communication and relationship skills are as important as superb technical skills in this role, as the successful candidate will be responsible for process communication and coordination between Ubuntu and external partners, as well as ensuring commonality of purpose and technical approach. This job involves international travel several times a year, usually for one week at a time.
Reports To: Server Team Manager
- Be a member of the Ubuntu Server Team with responsibility for the quality of key components of the Ubuntu Server edition.
- Take on primary maintenance of some components of the Ubuntu Server, covering virtualisation technologies and related areas.
- Collaborate with other teams in the Ubuntu community and with upstream developers where appropriate, to make sure that Ubuntu Server includes the very best in free software and that our goals are taken into account by other projects.
Required skills and experience:
- A strong and demonstrated grasp of Linux server technologies
- Comprehensive understanding of multiple hypervisor technologies, like KVM, QEMU, XEN, Vmware, or Virtualbox and management tools like libvirt and ovirt.
- Substantial experience designing, implementing, configuring, deploying and administering hypervisor systems in a production environment
- Solid experience programming C and at least one dynamic language, preferably Python.
- Experience with Amazon EC2, UEC or similar cloud computing technology
- Familiarity with open source development tools and methodology, especially those in common use for Ubuntu and Debian package maintenance.
- Strong English language communication skills, especially in online environments such as mailing lists and IRC
- Ability to be productive in a globally distributed team through self-discipline and self-motivation, delivering according to a schedule.
- Ability to collaborate in real time with team members in US and European time zones
Desired skills and experience:
- Experience with packaging in at least one Linux distribution, Ubuntu or Debian packaging experience a plus
- Experience with container technologies like LXC and OpenVZ
- Experience with OVF
- Experience with kernel development, especially for virtualisation
- Solid grasp of UNIX security models and experience with secure software design practices such as privilege separation
- Affinity with the Open Source community, preferably by demonstrated contributions
Other Canonical and Ubuntu jobs are posted at: