You might have noticed that I took a crack at designing an icon for Byobu a few months back.
While I consider myself a decent hacker, and a reasonable photographer, I'm pretty bad at vector graphics, sadly.
So I'm reaching out for your help! Have you always wanted to contribute to an open source project? Are you pretty good at vector graphics? Here's your chance ;-)
So here are the rules...
- Submissions must be in SVG (scalable vector graphics) format. You might want to use the Inkscape package to do your drawing.
- Images must be square in overall dimension.
- Images must scale well, being recognizable as a 16x16 pixel icon, while also looking sharp at 1200x1200.
- Submissions must be made via bzr and Launchpad. You should branch lp:byobu, add your SVG file, commit, and push to Launchpad. These commands might help.
bzr branch lp:byobu
cp /path/to/your/foo.svg .
bzr add foo.svg
bzr push lp:~yourname/byobu/byobu-icon-contest
- Submissions must also be contributed under the GPLv3 (same license as Byobu). You can find the GPLv3 on your Ubuntu system in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-3.
- I really like the idea behind the icon that I did (a three-panel folding screen), it's just kind of ugly ;-) You are welcome to start with that .SVG and simply improve it. Or start from scratch with a design of your own!
- When you're satisfied with your submission, please use Launchpad's "Merge Proposal" feature.
Assuming we get some good submissions, I'd like to select a few finalists around Feb 25, and then a winner by March 1st. What does the winner receive? Well, besides bragging rights of having designed Byobu's logo, I'm going to print a few Byobu t-shirts with the new logo to show off my favorite free software project, and the winner will receive two of these shirts in whatever sizes he or she wants.